How I learn...

 When reading the module handbook I came across 'Theoretical concept-learning cycles' and 'Kolb's learning cycle'. Through reading the different stages of the learning cycle I discovered that I enter the cycle at the 'reflective observation' stage.

This made me consider times in my practice where I have learned/discovered through 'reflective observation'.


  • When I first made my blog I felt completely overwhelmed and was very unsure how the correct to write a blog was. To help me find some inspiration I sought to find other students first blog posts and what they had written. After a reading a few different blogs I found I was comfortable enough to write my own first blog.

  • When I taught my first dance class I used a piece of music a choreographer who I looked up to in college had used for a 'move it' piece.

  • When I played the role 'Prince Charming' in Cinderalla I researched into how other people had played 'Prince' roles before. I knew I wanted my character to come across as pompous so I studied the two Princes in 'Into the woods' and took inspiration from them.

I decided I wanted to look further into what 'reflective observation' is in order to discover more into who I am as a learner.


A Description a found on the university of Leicester web page is:

"The second stage in the cycle is that of reflective observation. This means taking time-out from "doing" and stepping back from the task and reviewing what has been done and experienced. At this stage lots of questions are asked and communication channels are opened to others members of the team. Vocabulary is very important and is needed to verbalize and discuss with others."


On the webpage it also suggested activities that help people who learn with 'reflective observation'. 

Some of these activities consist of:

  • ask for observation
  • write a short report on what took place
  • give feedback to other participants
  • quiet thinking time
  • tea & coffee breaks
  • completing learning logs or diaries


Researching this has given me plentiful ideas on how to accelerate my learning and how to make the most of my time while learning. 






 

Comments

  1. Hi Morgan, I have always believed that observation is a great way to learn. To be able to see positive and negatives from an outside view and imagine myself in situations is a technique that benefits me and is something that is helping me to learn in my new job. Your post has been very helpful and has given me insight into what else could better my practice in the future. Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Using your platform for good

HOW TO START

reflecting on rejection