Exploring an idea I like!

 'Choreographers come from a technical dance background-choreography stemming from technique'


Why do I like this idea?

  • I don't see myself as a technical dancer- hence why I've always said "I can't choreograph"
  • Not coming from a technique background gives me an excuse not to choreograph
So I actually like this idea because it gives me an excuse not to do something because I'm scared I won't be good at it?


Recently I started up my own intermediate dance class, something I had never done before. this meant I was forced to choreograph routines for dancers at a similar standard to me.

To start with I panicked "I can't do this!" I thought. however I had agreed to teach these dance classes and I wanted them to be good so I didn't really have a choice.

However when I began choreographing I discovered I was starting to enjoy it. After teaching my first class a couple of the attendees came over to me to tell me how much they loved my choreography and couldn't wait to come to my next class. 

After this I decided to research into famous choreographers opinions on there craft:


'Great dancers are not great because of their technique, they are great because of their passion'

- Martha Graham


'Many other woman have kicked higher, balanced longer, or turned faster. these are poor substitutes for passion.'

-Agnes De Mille


These choreographers are highly respected and their quotes art based on technique, they're based on Passion! And this is something I pride myself in having in abundance.

I love my craft, I love dance and I love being creative.

I now have more confidence in what I am doing and each week I find it easier and easier to choreograph with the belief in myself that I can do it. 

.... so I really 

 'Choreographers come from a technical dance background-choreography stemming from technique'

I don't like this idea after all.

Comments

  1. Hi Morgan, I love what you have shared in this post. I think it's amazing that you have now found your confidence in teaching. Something I have learnt since college is passion mainly over-rules technique. You can teach good technique, but you can't teach passion, it is something that has to be shared - this will be more valuable to students x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Using your platform for good

HOW TO START

reflecting on rejection