HOW TO START

So... I have tried a thousand times to come up with an appropriate research question. Every time I think I have one nailed on I read a piece of literature and my mind completely changes again. 

What I do know is I want to talk about unpaid work within the performing arts industry, Specifically looking at new graduates who have taken part in unpaid work and what their perspectives of it are now.

During a focus group for module 2 we discussed unpaid work. below are some questions people mentioned they thought about before partaking in unpaid work:

  •  are you being exploited in someway?
  • Self awareness- do you understand what you are partaking in?
  • how does unpaid work mentally effect you if you have to work a normal 9-5 at the same time to fund it?
  • it doesn't seem acceptable in other industries, so why is acceptable in ours?
  • would they pay someone else in the cast who had more experience? if they would why would they not pay you if you are doing the same job?
  • will it benefit you career in anyway?

one thing is very clear, there is unpaid work within the arts industry because of supply and demand. performers are desperate just for the chance to be on stage, gain knowledge and work with people they wouldn't of had the opportunity to work with otherwise. 
BUT after partaking in unpaid work do graduates perceptions change?

Its easy for me to say that I think something bad because of the experiences I have had with it. I think unpaid work is unfair, exploitative and creates a divide between people who can afford to do it and people who can't.
However that is a bias. SO I want to know how other people view unpaid work.


Having looked at literature the first clear theme I've found is exploitation and peoples views on exploitation:

(O Brook 2020) Thus, we conclude that the stratification of unpaid work according to social origin means that unpaid work is experienced as creative freedom for those with resources; for the rest it is exploitation.”


(S Siebert 2013) 59% of people on the survey answered that unpaid work is exploitative but many still believes ‘this is how things are done’. 


Despite this I want to know creatives positive perceptions of unpaid work which there doesn't seem to be much literature on.


I would love peoples opinions on this blog, what you think of my range of inquiry at the moment and what possible route you would go down with yours. Because right now I have NO idea.


Thanks!



References: 


  Brook, O., O’Brien, D. and Taylor, M. (2020) ‘“There’s No Way That You Get Paid to Do the Arts”: Unpaid Labour Across the Cultural and Creative Life Course’, Sociological Research Online, 25(4), pp. 571–588. doi: 10.1177/1360780419895291.


Siebert, S., and Wilson, F. (2013) All work and no pay: consequences of unpaid work experience in the creative industries. Work, Employment and Society, 27 (4). pp. 711-721. ISSN 0950-0170  

Comments

  1. Hi Morgan, I was in the Skype session that you spoke about in the blog and it raised so many different opinions! I think the general feeling from most was in a negative light! I think it's so unfair that people will work for free, as in any other industry it just isn't acceptable! I would never do my 9-5 of working in a pub for free EVER! But I can understand that for people who haven't been on the stage in a long time, take it to feel themselves again and that they are involved in the industry. I did one gig for free at college when I was a student (the majority of us were involved) and looking back, I still have it on my CV but really did it change me for the better I am unsure? I would never accept work for free as a 27 yeat old though! I even joke when people say 'oh youre a dancer, dance for me then' and ill reply well I don't dance for free.... But it's kinder true! I don't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Morgan, it's such an interesting topic, and I agree with you, I feel that un-paid work is unacceptable. Of course like Emily mentioned, involving yourself in unpaid work during your training may help an aspiring performer build skills and develop their CV, but as a graduate/professional, I wouldn't accept unpaid work. I am surprised that this isn't discussed more in vocational training. However, I also find it shocking that although people do the same job, they are getting paid different wages. I don't want to go into this too much online, but I have heard of companies that pay their performers different wages dependant on different factors. These aspects are not ethical in other industries, so why does it still happen in ours? Such an interesting question... x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Using your platform for good

reflecting on rejection